Demi Lovato hospitalized for apparent drug overdose
Singer Demi Lovato is “awake” and surrounded by family members after suffering what appears to be a drug overdose.
The Stone Cold hitmaker was admitted to a Los Angeles hospital close to midday on Tuesday (Juy 24), with police and fire department officials confirming they had responded to an emergency call at 11:40 a.m. placed from the 8000 block of Laurel View Drive, the street in the Hollywood Hills neighbourhood where Demi lives.
Paramedics reportedly found Demi unconscious when they arrived at her home. Law enforcement sources told the singer was immediately treated with Narcan – an emergency medication that blocks the effects of opioids and is used in the event of a narcotics overdose.
Reports suggest the singer, who was sober for six years before falling off the wagon, had overdosed on heroin, but the singer’s rep issued a press release saying “Demi is awake and with her family who want to express thanks to everytone for the love, prayers and support.”
“Some of the information being reported is incorrect and they respectfully ask for privacy and not speculation as her health and recovery is the most important thing right now,” the statement reads.
A concert scheduled for Atlantic City, New Jersey on Thursday (July 26) has been cancelled following her hospitalisation.