Las Vegas shooting victims file lawsuits against Live Nation & MGM Resorts

Five lawsuits, with one representing up to 450 victims in the Oct. 1st Las Vegas mass shooting, were filed in Los Angeles Monday (Nov. 20).

As you surely remember, on that damned day a gunman named Stephen Paddock opened fire from the 32nd floor of the Mandalay Bay hotel on thousands of people attending the Route 91 Harvest Festival in Las Vegas. He killed 58 people, many of whom were from Southern California, and injured nearly 500 before turning the gun on himself.

The suits were filed against MGM Grand Resorts -which owns the Mandalay Bay hotel – Live Nation and CSC security, as the lawsuits claim that MGM and Live Nation ignored safety protocols, which put thousands of concertgoers at risk.

To be specific, the victims accused the hotel operator MGM Resorts International of failing to properly monitor Paddock’s activities, train staff members and employ adequate security measures. The festival goers also alleged Live Nation was negligent for failing to provide adequate exits and properly train staff for an emergency.

Houston-based lawyer Chad Pinkerton said the intent was to get the cases before a jury less likely to be influenced by the size and clout of a casino company that is both an active political contributor in Nevada and the largest employer in the state.

Los Angeles is a better venue for fairness for our clients. There would be certain advantages for MGM to defend its case in Nevada,” Pinkerton said in a telephone interview, adding that a jury in MGM Resorts’ hometown might include people with direct or indirect ties to the company and its more than 70,000 employees.

Live Nation and MGM did not immediately respond to a request for comment. The companies have previously declined to comment on lawsuits.

 

 

in: News
November 21, 2017
di Fabiana