Prince’s toxicology report indicates high levels of Fentanyl

Prince was 57 when he was found alone and unresponsive in a lift at his Paisley Park home in Minnesota on 21 April, 2016. The autopsy released six weeks after his death showed he passed away following an accidental overdose of fentanyl but now a toxicology report has shed light on new details.

It’s been two since Prince died and now a new confidential toxicology report provides more information about just how much fentanyl was in the American singer’s system.

Well it seems that the Purple Purv had “exceedingly high” levels of the opioid fentanyl in his body at the time of his death: to be exact, 67.8 micrograms of fentanyl per litre of blood. The report adds that deaths have been reported in people who have had blood levels ranging from three to 58 micrograms of fentanyl per litre of blood.

The amount in his blood is exceedingly high, even for somebody who is a chronic pain patient on fentanyl patches,” Dr. Lewis S. Nelson, Chairman of the Department of Emergency Medicine at Rutgers New Jersey Medical School, told the AP, calling the fentanyl findings “a pretty clear smoking gun.”

Moreover Prince had 450 micrograms per kilogram in his liver – noting that concentrations greater than 69 micrograms per kilogram in the liver “seem to represent overdose or fatal toxicity cases”.

That’s not all. It was also found that the Purple Rain hitmaker had a lethal amount of fentanyl in his stomach.

The singer was known to have been suffering from a longtime hip problem, but did not have any known prescriptions for fentanyl issued to him leading up to his untimely passing. However experts say there is no “lethal level” at which fentanyl can kill: a person who takes prescription opioids for a long time builds up a tolerance, and a dose that could kill one person might help another.

in: News
March 27, 2018
di Fabiana